Thursday, November 8, 2007

Books that Changed Our Lives

While reading, "The Book that Changed My Life", column in this month's Best Life magazine I noticed that this month's guest, Pulitzer Prize-winning author Richard Russo, selected one of my favorite books for my early school days.

The book Mr. Russo cited was, Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. Mr. Russo loved "Pip" the protagonist and observed that the vast majority of the students he had taught over the years are troubled that the protagonist in this story is not virtuous throughout the book -- this is a consistent expectation of Mr. Russo's students.

For me Great Expectations is not "the" book that changed my life but it is indeed one of the books that impacted my thinking while also nurturing my early interest in literature. My thanks to authors like Mr. Dickens for penning such tomes and to authors like Mr. Russo for reminding us of such literature.

Strive to be a gentleman,

Todd

No comments: