Monday, August 13, 2007

Children's Books and Government

As I have read books to our three year old daughter over the years I have noticed a recurring theme - okay, perhaps a very obvious theme -- in most of the books that I felt compelled to comment on it to seek the wise counsel of my readers.

The theme in the books is the form of government used in the storyline is some form of royalty/nobility such as Dora the Explorer having to bring the moon to the "king and queen" so she can become a "true princess" and "Princess" Ariel in Walt Disney's "The Little Mermaid" who of course falls in love with "Prince" Eric.

So where are the republican/popularly-elected/parliamentary forms of government in children's' literature? Why can't Ariel fall in love with Prime Minister Eric?

If any readers know of any "fairy tale" books that utilize non-royalty forms of government to structure their characters' story lines would you please let me know so I can introduce our little girl to some democratic institutions? I have to ask for book suggestions since at age three she is a bit young for the Federalist Papers :-)

Thanks,

Todd

No comments: