Wednesday, August 8, 2007

First Book

This week I read about a children's literacy group called "First Book" which announced the results of their survey which asked readers -- "Which book got you hooked?" (www.firstbook.org/whatbook) The survey received nearly 93,000 votes from readers who stated which book turned them on to reading when they were children.

Books that made the list as the most inspirational for readers included:

  1. Nancy Drew by Carolyn Keene
  2. Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
  3. Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder
  4. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
  5. The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss

So congratulations to Dr. Seuss for scoring 2 of the top 5 books in this list -- I enjoyed reading both of these books as a child and again with my god children.

I did not cast a vote in this survey but my personal choices would have been:

  • Winnie the Pooh
  • The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
  • The Iceberg Hermit
  • National Geographic magazine

Of course the first three are actually books -- I have a hard time deciding which one "hooked" me on reading but if pressed I would vote for Winnie the Pooh. Now granted National Geographic is NOT a book but a magazine but I have very fond memories of our copy arriving in the mail when I was growing up. Having grown up in small town Iowa in the age before the Internet this magazine exposed me to entirely new worlds and cultures which hooked me on traveling and the value of learning.

I hope my blog readers turn off the TVs and read to their children every day -- such a foundation is essential for their future success.

Enjoy the chapters of your life,

Todd

1 comment:

Jeff Deitering said...

I did vote in this poll and my choice was "Go Dog Go" which I believe ended up #9.