Friday, March 7, 2008

Girls and Schools

Finally this week I completed reading the book, "Three Cups of Tea", by Greg Mortenson and David Relin (www.threecupsoftea.org) . This book is focused on Mortensen's story of how we came to create (with a Swiss-American benefactor's donation) the Central Asia Institute (CAI) (www.ikat.net).

The CAI was formed initially to build schools for schools in the poorest regions of Pakistan but their work has expanded into Afghanistan plus clean water projects and refugee relief programs. By an interesting twist of fate/family ties the CAI is based in Bozeman, Montana. If it is not obvious enough let me state it -- these schools have been built to educate "Muslim girls" which people like the Taliban of Afghanistan forbid.

Overall I found this book to be completely inspiring and motivational. Having read this story I could not help but focus on making myself financially independent so I can devote some early retirement years to doing work like Mr. Mortenson.

If book clubs are looking for books to read this year this one should be on their short list.

Todd

No comments: