Friday, May 9, 2008

Minnesota's Book Store

In my world view the more book stores we have the better but when it comes to "Minnesota's Book Store" (MBS) I draw the line! Interested readers can see MBS's book inventory at this website:

http://www.comm.media.state.mn.us/bookstore/bookstore.asp

MBS is a "service" provided by the State of Minnesota's Department of Administration to sell books to the public which include titles such as the ever popular, ""OSHA 1926 Construction Industry Regulations " (not on the Oprah Book Club list that I have seen!) and "Birds of Minnesota - Field Guide" (actually a good book I purchased years ago but from the private sector not a government book store like MBS).

I just do not see a need for the State of Minnesota to have a "book store" especially since many of the titles I see listed on their website our widely available in the private sector book stores.

Historically governments have burned more books than they have sold to the public so let's get them out of the book business completely.

Todd

No comments: