Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Poetry from Louisiana

One objective for my reading this year includes reading "more poetry" selections. As part of that goal I just completed a collection of poems by a contemporary Louisiana writer whose work included themes like Hurricane Katrina, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), and white trash neighbors.

For this posting I wanted to share my favorite line from this collection of poems --

".......the nightly opera of the neighbors fighting with each other begins.............."

The imagery in this line really caught my attention -- the civilized atmosphere of an opera juxtaposed against a scene of domestic violence supplied by the neighbors. Then again how many opera lovers are wife beaters? Perhaps there is an inter-connected, universal theme here the author is highlighting for us.

Miles of stanzas to read before I rest,

Todd

No comments: