Sunday, March 25, 2007

Karl Rove

Since I love books I could not help but notice a book featured prominently (front page, above the fold) in a photograph of Karl Rove (special advisor to US President George W. Bush) in the 22 March 2007 Financial Times newspaper. The photo showed Mr. Rove walking down a flight of stairs exiting an airplane with the caption reading -- "Rove subpoena, Congress in Battle with Bush".

So what book was Mr. Rove reading?

Khrushchev's Cold War: The Inside Story of an American Adversary
by
Aleksandr Fursenko, Timothy Naftali

I have not read this book myself but given the political crisis that Mr. Rove is buried in regarding the selective firing of 8 of 93 US Attorneys which the US Congress is reviewing I thought this was an interesting book to read at this time for these reasons:

1.) Khrushchev presided over a crumbling empire - although he never admitted it publicly
2.) If Mr. Rove is forced to testify before Congress will he beat his shoe on the table? :-)
3.) Will this book remind Mr. Rove that a centrally planned economy does not work thus leading him to advise President Bush to bring us a new era of federalism by phasing out entire federal departments coupled with returning the money to taxpayers at the state level leaving them to decide if they want their state legislators to take the money via tax increase for "worthwhile" programs................

Okay, my day dreaming is over!! Yes, that is my personal utopia but one worth promoting I believe.

Ideas have consequences,

Todd

No comments: