Thursday, April 12, 2007

Drop Everything and Read Day

Buried on page 6D in the Life section of today's USA Today there was a small story about actress Emma Roberts, star of Nickelodean's Unfabulous TV program. Ms. Roberts is the event spokeswoman for "National Drop Everything and Read Day" which is today -- April 12, 2007.

She is quoted as saying -- "Kids today have so much technology (computers, Sidekicks, Blackberries, etc. - which I love by the way!) that I think it is important to encourage them to read and spend quality time with their families." The article goes on to say that Ms. Roberts reads at least one book a week which makes me jealous since it takes me about two weeks per book!!

Since I love books (and technology like blogs of course) I love the concept of "Drop Everything and Read Day" but I have to point out that a newspaper dedicated to literacy should not bury such a news story like USA Today did today. Let's get such projects mentioned on the front page so more people are likely to notice the story.

Keep reading,
Todd

No comments: