Sunday, April 15, 2007

Valley Reads

The border area between Minnesota and Wisconsin along the St. Croix River Valley (great canoeing up river from the town of Grantsburg, WI if you are looking for a nice day trip!!) is hosting the "Valley Reads" program. Valley Reads is described as a "community-wide, multi-generational reading program, created to bring awareness to the value of reading together, sharing ideas, and building community."

For more information on events you can attend or for ideas on how to organize a similar event for your area readers can contact:

www.valleyreads.org

+1 651.439.1465

One of the books selected for this program is --

"Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America"
by
Barbara Ehrenreich

This book is not without controversial as the author works at a series of low-paying occupations. Were I poor and motivated here is what I would do -- get a job as a janitor or groundskeeper at my local community college so I would get even cheaper (perhaps free) tuition thus allowing me to improve my job skills and career prospects.

There are plenty of options and opportunities in the USA,

Todd

No comments: