Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Boys will be Boys

A recent book review by the Associated Press' Jill Lawless (a "girl") regarding this new title caught my attention --

"The Dangerous Book for Boys" (DBFB) by Conn and Hal Iggulden (who are brothers)

Ms. Lawless notes that this book, "allows American boys - but not their sisters - to learn how to play marbles, make invisible ink.................." The book's title probably does not have the sexism that Ms. Lawless seems to suggest, rather it is great marketing if you ask me because such a title would attract both boys and girls given its taboo persona.

This book was a best seller in the United Kingdom where it was named Book of the Year prize at the British Book Awards before being published in the USA on May 1st. DBFB's success continues in the USA where it resides on several best sellers lists.

At some point I will probably buy copies for my godsons but will have to read it first myself primarily due to my love of the Boy Scouts program. Assuming this is a practical and useful book perhaps the Boy Scouts (founded in the United Kingdom coincidentally) should tap into its success by inviting the Iggulden brothers to do a Boy Scout-sponsored book tour across the USA as a recruitment tool.

As an Eagle Scout and Vigil Member myself I happily promote the Scouts so let me encourage my readers to get involved in the Boy Scouts if the opportunity presents itself. For more information please visit -- http://www.scouting.org/

No comments: