Monday, June 4, 2007

Sandaligerula

While attending a conference in London years ago my friend Dr. Sean Gabb (giving the inventor credit here) created the word -- "hyperbibliophilia" -- which is the condition where someone continues to buy books even though they have not read the books they currently own.

I suffered from this condition for years and still fight it especially when I read reviews of books such as this one --

"Working IX to V - Orgy Planners, Funeral Clowns, and Other Prized Professions of the Ancient World"

by Vicki Leon

This book's focus is on the "behind the scenes" (my phrase) jobs of the workers and slaves that supported the leisure life in ancient Greece and Rome - fascinating stuff for nerdy historians like myself :-)

So does the job of "sandaligerula" interest you? This person's job was rather specific -- they had to ensure their mistress was wearing the proper shoes at all times. I am very thankful my wife can do this job for herself!!! (forgive me)

Todd

No comments: