Wednesday, September 12, 2007

25%

Several weeks ago (August 22) the Associated Press (AP) published a story entitled, "Poll: 1 in 4 adults read no books last year" (2006) so I clipped it out knowing I would have to gather my thoughts for a future posting.

From this article I noted the following poll (AP's Ipsos Poll) results that were of most interest to me:

  • Women and senior citizens were the most avid readers
  • Religious books and popular fiction (perhaps one in the same for some people out there!!!) were the most popular subjects
  • Of the 75% of American adults who read a book last year the usual number of books read was seven (7).
  • Overall book sales have been flat during recent years
  • Demographics of the non-readers include: older, less educated, lower income, minorities, from rural areas, and less religious

The poll's results noted that these limited reading results were caused by "the Internet and other media" that consumes our leisure time versus choosing to read books. Given the demographics of non-readers noted above and the role the Internet/media has played in reducing reading levels I can't help but think of the "digital divide" that many big government politicians (like Al Gore) have talked about over the years. This "divide" mind set notes that Internet/broadband networks are not extensive enough because "the poor" do not have access.

Now I am online everyday for work and blogging but yet I also read over 30 books each year so I will never buy into the "poverty industry's" argument that we need to spend more money on getting the poor connected. I have a better solution -- they should shop in the bargain book section like I do at my local book store. Yesterday I purchased (finally!!) Frederick Douglas' story of his rise from slavery for only $4.98. Now this is an inspirational, very affordable book that our modern day slaves living on our modern day plantations commonly known as "public housing projects" -- kept there by the poverty industry led by Jesse Jackson -- should read as soon as possible.

Read and be free,

Todd

No comments: