Monday, September 17, 2007

Reviews of Books

While visiting my county library recently I picked up a copy of the "Book Page - America's Book Review" newspaper which was provided "Compliments of Your Library" (www.bookpage.com)

This was my first time reading this book review but I have to say it looks to be a nice publication although I have to wonder how many copies go unused (and at what cost to taxpayers) since I found a stack in the front atrium alongside other tabloid publications. This is a key question since major newspapers in the USA -- like New York Times and Washington Post -- have extensive book review sections that interested readers could subscribe to separately.

Beyond the cost to taxpayers I have to pause to think about publications like "book reviews." Do they exist simply to help promote books and drive reader demand? I can't even read all the books I have on my shelf already but yet I read these reviews of books which historically have inspired me to read other books thus I am trapped in a viscous cycle!!

I would love to hear from readers regarding what they think of these reviews of books publications.

Keep turning pages,

Todd

No comments: