Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Words that Work

While attending the Minnesota Chamber of Commerce's annual meeting and issues conference today I heard a great presentation by Dr. Frank Luntz (http://www.mnchamber.com) regarding which words actually work with voters and consumers since he not only does political work but he is also a consultant to corporations.

At the end of the meeting I talked with Dr. Luntz during his book signing event for his current book, Words that Work, which I started reading while I waited for the traffic to clear out of the parking garage. One basic example of Dr. Luntz's work is altering the phrase "drilling for oil" to the more palatable "exploring for energy" which is supported by a much greater percentage of voters.

I look forward to reading Dr. Luntz's book since correct word usage is essential in my line of work but for now the book sits in my "books to read this year" pile. Please watch this space for my annual "End of the Year Review of Books" where I complete mini-reviews of all the books I have read during the calendar year. This has come to be a popular posting with my readers.

Your suggestions regarding great books to read are always welcome but be sure to use the right "words" which you recommend a book so you capture my attention :-)

Todd

No comments: